Sunday 12 October 2014

Booktober: week one

Ketchup Clouds. So this is where I started Booktober. I will admit that this book, by Annabel Pitcher, had been sat on my bedroom floor for quite some time but I've been extremely busy recently and struggled to find time to read. This was the fantastic opportunity to get me reading again!

What I didn't realise until after finishing the book is that she is the author of a book that I read a long time ago and thoroughly enjoyed! 

Ketchup Clouds tells the story of a teenage girl (who's name I'm not going to say because that's part of the mystery) who starts writing to a prisoner as a way to deal with her guilt. Her guilt as a result of an event that she blames herself for. We never hear from the convict, who is on death row, and the cliffhanger you are left on has you dreaming up all sorts of different endings.

Throughout the novel, there are several themes, both obvious and hidden, that manage to get you questioning things about your own life. It has you wondering how you would react in certain situations and teaches a very important lesson: sometimes letting go is the only thing that you can do to stop you making yourself crazy with guilt. 

If you don't mind reading something with quite serious underlying themes covered up quite well with the odd bit of humour, then this is certainly a book for you! The way family, friendships and feelings are portrayed is so unique and definitely worth trying to understand.

That's all for this weeks review because I don't want to ruin something that you might read but I look forward to hearing about what you're reading and I'll be back next week with another.

Keep smiling, 
Kathryn x


No comments:

Post a Comment