Monday 15 December 2014

Writing to winter: December 15th

Dear Winter,

I've just realised how negative the past few days seem to have been so I apologise. But sometimes writing honestly is necessary and a good way of expressing feelings without causing any damage. And the weather has been awful recently so if nothing else, let's call it pathetic fallacy! 

In fact, let's start with the weather. When you learn to see past the annoyance of being woken up by rain repeatedly every night for at least a week, theres actually something quite comforting to hear the rhythmical dancing of rain droplets on the rooftops. After a while even the huge gusts of wind are nothing more than a melody with the power of taking you away to anywhere. And once you realise that you've got enough coffee downstairs to keep you up until Christmas 2015, the fact that you've been in an extra hour or to becomes less important. 

Being up early brings me chance to think Winter, chance to do things that I rarely get chance to do. In fact, it's how I've managed to fit quite a few of your letters in. Sometimes it gets me thinking about the best things in the world but they're not always. Having time to gather your own thoughts, put them in order and work out how to deal with them is extremely important and Winter, I guess I've got you and your rain to thank for that! 

Keep smiling, 
Kathryn x

No comments:

Post a Comment