Thursday 25 December 2014

Writing to winter: December 25th

Dear Winter,

You know you're getting older when your excitement about Christmas shifts Winter. Obviously I'm still 100% excited about the thought of getting up to a room sprinkled with magic just not as excited as others. Perhaps it was a little selfish of me to try and get an extra five minutes of sleep when my brother bounced into my bedroom with excitement at 5:30am but I had worked a long day on Christmas Eve! 

Then going downstairs, I didn't want to open my presents first. I was much more excited to be giving my family their presents and even more excited to see my sister's reaction to the presents I had chosen for her. For me the magic now comes from giving to others, seeing that they have a good day, that's enjoyment. And that's what has changed. It's not the big presents that I find exciting now, it's the small ones, the ones that say 'I know you so well'. Like the giant packet of post it notes and the endless supply of nail varnish!

Christmas was good for me. Better than last years by a long shot and do you know what Winter, I'm sure you'll bring an even better one next year. But for now I'm going to enjoy the rest of this one, because it's not over yet!

Keep smiling,
Kathryn x

No comments:

Post a Comment