Tuesday 23 December 2014

Writing to Winter: December 23rd

Dear Winter,

For me, any day in which I don't help others is a day wasted. I guess in some ways I thrive of helping others because I don't ever want anyone to be left struggling. But I also love the way that you can learn from others and help them to learn from themselves. 

During the Christmas period my burning desire to help others is strengthened. There are some people living in  appauling conditions meaning that they won't be able to completely enjoy Christmas this year. Whether it be down to a family crisis, illness, poverty or anything else, Christmas should be a happy and joyful time! So when I was told that over the Christmas period volunteers weren't expected to volunteer at the hospital I was a little saddened. I had a few chats with my boss and managed to change my days to suit the bank holidays that we have so went in today. 

At the hospital, it isn't suddenly any less busy just because it's Christmas, in fact, quite the contrary happens; the chaos is amplified. Being back there reminds me of my Christmas hospital fun a couple of years ago! But being able to help, to ease the load on others is just what I love doing. I'm going to keep being myself and help others right through the holidays Winter, and I hope you will do the same.

Keep smiling,
Kathryn x

No comments:

Post a Comment