Saturday 6 December 2014

Writing to winter: December 6th

Dear Winter,

The other day I told you that one of the main places that I write is in some sort of vehicle when I'm travelling. But I left you in a little bit of suspense over the second main place, which is coffee shops. For a long time I didn't like going out to anywhere like Costa or Starbucks for various reasons. But voluntary work at a hospital and some friends have educated me very well! 

It's such a lovely, relaxing and quite often a rare opportunity I get to just sit peacefully and enjoy a coffee but everything about the atmosphere makes me forget whatever is going on in the real world and take some time to enjoy something that I enjoy. Taking a notebook to jot down ideas for blog posts, stories and even a sketch pad to have a doodle enables me to have some time to myself. And it's important to have some time to yourself every now and again isn't it Winter? Not like on those early November days when we have to share you with Autumn; it's cold out but the crispy leaves are still freshly fallen from the trees. That's not time to yourself, and sometimes you just need a little break from sharing your time with everyone to refresh yourself. So, contrary to common belief, it is most certainly okay to spend time on your own! 

But other times I enjoy to sit and natter over a caramel latte in the cosy upstairs of my local Cafe Nero with one of my closest friends. We reminisce over memories, catch up with each other and plan the new memories that we'll make. It's taken a long time for me to be able to be even a little bit relaxed in public places  so I guess I've got lots of people to thank for that. And I have a new hobby now; trying every drink on the Christmas menus! 

Keep smiling,
Kathryn x

No comments:

Post a Comment