Saturday 27 December 2014

Writing to winter: December 27th

Dear Winter,

Back to work today and it was honestly quite enjoyable. The pool was practically empty all day and it actually gave me a bit of time to relax. With a flask of green tea. Staring at an empty pool. Either way I love it really! In my breaks I got a little bit of time to catch up on some college work that if been slacking with quite recently. 

I guess I'm quite lucky Winter; an enjoyable, well-paid and not too chaotic job. I don't have to work too many unsociable hours and even get paid extra for the odd ones that I do. But the fact that I'm working is scary Winter. I've been working for over 12 months now and it's only just hit me that it's showing I really am growing up scarily quickly. 

I have to do grown up things like check payslips are accurate, fill in time sheets and have long phone conversations with the tax office, HR and occupational health. All of these are things that you don't learn how to do in school or college. Maybe our education system does need to think about these things. It's all well and good teaching us about interview skills to get a job but that's only the first step. Once you have that job there are 1000 new things you need to do that you have no clue about Winter. But that's all a big adventure isn't it?

Keep smiling,
Kathryn x

No comments:

Post a Comment